Nothing says Christmas like the Movies

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

For some reason this year, I've struggled to get into the Holiday spirit. Maybe it's because the calendar sneakily ambushed me and suddenly I found myself less than 7 days from the BIG day with not a preparation in sight. (Ok, not entirely true...we had the tree up...mostly decorated, but not finished.) Or perhaps it was due the unseasonal warm weather last week that killed my Christmas Buzz. But most most likely, my Grinchness is probably rooted in the bitter fact that I only get Christmas Day off.

Whatever my excuse, I am breaking clean from my Bah Humbug ways and with that said, I am determined to lift my spirits into a holiday frenzy no matter what. Scrooge be damned. This is Christmas. So with that determination set forth, I am hitting up the telly whilst I wrap my presents, basking in the glow of Hollywood's Christmas delights and relishing in holiday nostalgia.

And lo, I give you

Beth's Top Ten Christmas Movies


10.) All those claymation movies....Rudolph, Frosty, The Year Without A Santa Clause, and the like. Since these movies are made out of clay, I figure I can lump them together....You're welcome for the deliberate pun.

9.) The Santa Claus starring Tim Allen. OK, so maybe it's a tad on the predictable side. And maybe it reeks of the '90's, both in terms of fashion and it's choice lead actor. But you know what? That kid is super cute and the slapstick is pretty decent. So yes, I defend this movie for making my list because trust me, there are alot worse Christmas movies out there people (Fred Clause Vince Vaughn, really?) Maybe I wouldn't buy it, but if its on TV, I am secretly excited.

8.) The Nightmare Before Christmas. Is it a Halloween movie? A Christmas movie? I couldn't tell ya, but for this list's purposes it is now officially dubbed a Christmas movie.. I secretly suspect it's a commercial golden egg, as the story line hits up all the major commercial holidays, thus justifying this movie's prominent display year round. Either way I love it for Tim Burton's updated venture into claymation. Plus it's a musical, something I'll get to in a moment.

7.) The Muppet's Christmas Carol Who doesn't love Kermit and Miss Piggy singing along with all the their Muppet friends, while telling this classic Charles Dickens' tale. My childhood love for the Muppets instilled a deep and unabashed love of musicals, much to Somanna's dismay on road trips.

6.) ELF Somanna thoroughly disagrees with me on this one. But that's why it's my list, not his. If you are feeling down this holiday season, just remember the this Elven Rule: "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear." And if that doesn't work watch the scene where Will Ferrell finds out Santa is coming!

5.) National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation We all know it and love it despite having the lines memorized. We acknowledge that funnier movies and actors have come along since Chevy Chase's hey day, but the Holiday season wouldn't feel right without a visit from the Griswold's and Cousin Eddie.

p.s. let's all take a moment to reflect on the career trajectory of Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Reflect and give thanks that she found Seinfeld ....and a straightening iron.

4.) Home Alone This was the second movie I ever saw in a theater and at 10 years old, this film convinced me that Macaulay Culkin's comedic genius should earn him nothing short of an Oscar. Good thing they didn't give it to him, the fame screwed him up enough. But nonetheless, this movie is time tested, gut grabbing, slap your knee stick funny. If you haven't seen it in awhile, watch it again because if you don't laugh out loud at this movie, you might not be human.

3.) A Charlie Brown Christmas Linus tells Charlie Brown what Christmas is all about and Snoopy is adorable as always. It just isn't a holiday without the Peanuts.

2.) How The Grinch Stole Christmas You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch! The cartoon version of Dr. Seuss's classic is the only way to go. And I'm betting that song is stuck in your head now isn't it? So I'll save you the effort and post the lyrics here. Merry Christmas!

1.) A Christmas Story "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" I triple dawg dare you to tell me there is a better Christmas movie than this one.



"But I heard him exclaim ere he drove out of sight, Happy Christmas to All and All a Good Night!"

2 Leftovers:

Brittany said...

I highly approve of your list! Altho perhaps Elf would be a bit higher up for me. If you watch it again, pay attention to the lesser lines that are still randomly hilarious like "Hey Buddy, do you want to pick some snowberries?" "Not now Artic Puffin!" I heart Will Ferrell.

Chittiappa said...

How can you forget Bad Santa?

Though not your traditional xmas movie, Love Actually is a good watch.

Merry Christmas y'all!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP