For My Inner Dorkus

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Today marks the 50th anniversary of William Strunk and E.B. White's Elements of Style, aka the writer's Bible. If you didn't use this book in college, well then I must scoff in literary snobbery and superiority.

And if you didn't have Dr. Mitchell beating the passive voice out of you (which this blog is littered in) then consider yourself blissfully unaware of your own ignorance. Because once you understand the concept, it will HAUNT YOUR WRITING FOREVER EVEN IN EMAILS AT WORK WHERE YOU'RE JUST ASKING FOR TIME OFF!!

Sorry, just had to get that out.

NPR had a super clever write up / commentary about this momentous anniversary. I highly recommend that you Check it out.

Now is the time fellow English snobs. We must get to work. There is much to do and a finite amount of red ink.

Grammarians and Dorks Unite!

1 Leftovers:

Brittany said...

I truly do hate how I can't write "I was wondering" in an email to anyone of importance (especially at work!) without feeling weak and, well, passive. Sigh.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP